Colorado Top Dog helps clients purchase equipment and assists with your dog or puppy. We help aid clients in fulfilling their pet’s needs. If you have any questions about our information and resources, contact us.
Winter Activities for Dogs
- Basic Walks – Dogs enjoy getting out of the house for their walks. Continue taking them on walks around Denver. My favorite time to walk dogs is right after a snowstorm.
- Dog Training – Now is an excellent time to brush up on your positive reinforcement dog training in the house. Add a nightly session and keep it fun and short.
- Retrieving – Find a space in Denver without ice and choose the best weather of the day. Avoid playing retrieve when icy conditions exist.
- Snow Sports – Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are the ultimate winter conditioning activities for athletic dogs in the Denver area and will keep your dog in top shape. Make sure to bring along dog treats to aid in their recovery during and after heavy exercise.
- Exposure – Please protect from the elements when below freezing conditions exist. Most dogs are incapable of withstanding freezing temperatures for long periods.
- Dog Gear – Dog booties are best for protecting your dog’s paws during winter activities, especially in cold conditions. Short coated dogs may require a dog coat when out for extended periods.
- Pack Fresh Water – Keep your pup from eating the snow and getting sick.
- Raw Dog Food Seasonal Changes – Remember to feed raw dog food appropriately for the season. Also, match the feed amount to the activity level you maintain through the winter months.
Raw Dog Food Seasonal Changes
In the fall, I begin watching my dog’s weight to avoid overfeeding during lower activity months. Generally, my female Calypso drops from 25 oz per day down to approximately 20 oz per day of raw dog food. Not every dog has the same activity level as her, but less is more for keeping her in top shape. My up and coming superstar, Gryppe, consumes more and more all the time. Remember, young dogs need lots of food while they grow. To be sure, most veterinarians have scales readily available should you need to weigh your dog instead of guessing. Follow us now for more tips about dog gear, dog training, and don’t forget the client photos and the Colorado Top Dog family on our website.
Escape/Avoidance Dog Training
Escape/Avoidance is a form of aversive conditioning. Easier understood as the avoidance of stimuli. Anyone offering balanced dog training is suggesting the equipment that reinforces this method. There is no in-between. If you have completed all foundation obedience and developed a strong relationship with your animal, then introducing equipment would make sense. If you haven’t shaped a solid foundation consisting of proper behaviors and management, you must start there. Call Colorado Top Dog @ 720-272-7852 to get your dog’s proper dog training foundation. If you have learned the proper methodology and understand proper positive reinforcement obedience training, this equipment would come far down the road from the initial interaction with your new dog trainer. We should be nice to dogs. Here’s Gryppe, the machine. I’d like to see another dog in Colorado with these abilities, he’s amazing.
- Give your dog a safe space to escape heavy activity in your house with family and friends coming over for Thanksgiving. A bedroom, dog crate, or kennel are all great if your dog needs space away.
- Know your 24-hour Veterinarian’s Emergency Contact Information.
- Look to our blog for further resources and information.
- People food to avoid feeding your pet includes Alcohol, Avocado, Bones (cooked), Chives, Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine, Citrus, Coconut, Coconut Oil, Dairy, Garlic, Grapes, Raisins, Macadamia Nuts, Milk, Nuts, Onions, Salt, Salty Snack Foods, Xylitol, and Yeast Dough. A wise move is to give your dog a pet treat during your Thanksgiving meal. This will keep them focused on their own feast and reward them for proper behavior.
- Remove trash and uneaten food from the dog’s ability to scavenge. Behind a closed door or outside in a trash bin are your best option.
Positive Reinforcement Dog Training
As a balanced dog training company, Colorado Top Dog believes positive dog training using treats and toys is a great way to build a relationship with your dog. It’s also helpful for shaping desired behaviors. Any other foundation training may leave a dog confused. Unfortunately, positive dog training is not enough. Eventually, you’ll need to build boundaries and teach no. Skipping this step would develop problems that require behavior modification. Get your dog training questions answered today by the most sought after dog training company in Colorado, Colorado Top Dog. Signing up for our in-home or online consultation is the first step towards success. Our consultation will evaluate your current situation and help us understand how much assistance you will need.
Thank You, Veterans. You’re forever appreciated. As always, a big shout out to Kendell Madden. Yesterday he ran in the 13th annual Special Ops Forces Run on MacDill AFB, Operation One Voice. This guy is always doing positive things and could use your help and support! More information and resources available soon.
The best dog booties I’ve used. If you get nothing else from our information and resources, order these dog booties. They are easy to order, fit great, and have a variety of color options.
Thank you for reading our information and resources.