Top Dog Alerts
Winter Activities for Dogs
- Dog Training – Now is a good time to brush up on your positive reinforcement dog training in the house. Add a nightly session and keep it short and fun.
- Snow Sports – Snowshoeing and cross country skiing are the ultimate winter conditioning activities for athletic dogs and will keep your dog in top shape. Bring along freeze dried green tripe treats to aid in their recovery during and after heavy exercise.
- Retrieving – Find a space without ice and choose the best weather of the day. Avoid playing retrieve when icy conditions exist.
- Basic Walks – Dogs enjoy their walks and getting out of the house. Continue taking them on walks. My favorite time to walk dogs is right after a fresh snowstorm.
- Raw Dog Food Adjustments – Remember to feed raw dog food appropriately for the season and activity level you maintain through the winter months.
- Dog Gear – Dog booties are best for protecting your dog’s paws during winter activities, especially in frozen conditions. Short coated dogs may require a dog coat when out for extended periods of time.
- Pack Fresh Water – Keep your pup from eating the snow and getting sick.
- Exposure – Please provide protection from the elements when below freezing conditions exist. Most dogs are incapable of withstanding frozen temperatures for long periods of time.
Raw Dog Food Seasonal Changes
In the fall I begin watching my dog’s weight to avoid overfeeding during lower activity months. My female Calypso usually drops from 25 oz per day, down to approximately 20 oz per day of raw dog food. Not every dog has the same activity level as her, but less is the move to keeping her in top shape. My up and coming superstar, Gryppe, consumes more and more all the time. Remember, young dogs needs lots of food while they grow. To be sure, most veterinarians have scales readily available should you need to weigh your dog instead of guessing. Follow us now for more tips about dog gear, dog training and don’t forget the high quality client photos and the Colorado Top Dog family on our website.
Escape/Avoidance Dog Training
Escape/Avoidance conditioning is a form of aversive conditioning. Easier understood as the avoidance of stimuli. Anyone offering balanced dog training is suggesting equipment that reinforces this method. There is no in-between. If you have developed a strong relationship with your animal and completed all foundation obedience, equipment introduction would make sense. If you haven’t shaped proper behaviors, proper management and have a solid foundation, you must start there. Call Colorado Top Dog @ 720-272-7852 to get your dog’s proper dog training foundation, today. If you learned the proper methodology, and understand proper positive reinforcement obedience training, this equipment would come far down the road from initial interaction with your new dog trainer. We should be nice to the dog. Here’s Gryppe, the machine. I’d like to see another dog in Colorado with these abilities, he’s amazing.
- Give your dog a safe space to escape heavy activity in your house with family and friends coming over for Thanksgiving. A bedroom, dog crate or kennel are all great if your dog needs space away.
- People food to avoid feeding your pet includes Alcohol, Avocado, Bones (cooked), Chives, Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine, Citrus, Coconut, Coconut Oil, Dairy, Garlic, Grapes, Raisins, Macadamia Nuts, Milk, Nuts, Onions, Salt, Salty Snack Foods, Xylitol and Yeast Dough. A wise move is to give your dog a pet treat during your Thanksgiving meal. This will keep them focused on their own feast and reward them for proper behavior.
- Remove uneaten food and trash from the dog’s ability to scavenge. Outside into a trash bin or behind a closed door are your best option.
- Know your 24 hour Veterinarian’s Emergency Contact Information.
Positive Reinforcement Dog Training
As a balanced dog training company, Colorado Top Dog believes positive dog training using treats and toys is a great method for building a relationship with your dog. It’s also great for shaping desired behaviors. Unfortunately positive dog training is not enough as we believe in building boundaries and teaching no. Without this, you see problems that require behavior modification. Get your dog training questions answered today by the most sought after dog training company in Colorado, Colorado Top Dog. Signing up for our in home consultation is the first step towards success. Our consultation will evaluate your current situation and help us understand how much help you will need.
Thank You Veterans. You’re forever appreciated. As always, a big shout out to Kendell Madden. Yesterday he ran in the 13th annual Special Ops Forces Run on MacDill AFB, Operation One Voice. This guy is always doing positive things and could use your support and help!
The best dog booties i’ve used. These are easy to order, fit great and have a nice variety of color options.